Trading Up
Today, I dumped a lot of the CDs that are not, shall we say, in my area of interest. And no I'm not naming names. This week's cuts have been from the get-out-of-my-sight-immediately category. Though I'm sure I will have a few "where did that go? ah, I sold it" moments, something had to be done to put a dent in the pile-up. Through the magic of the trade and barter system I've come away with the Soul Jazz Studio One Funk comp on vinyl which sounds good on first pass, the revelatory Clash documentary "Westway to the World" DVD which I'm actually watching right this second, "The Harder They Come" DVD, an Atlantic soul comp that looks more interesting than it sounds, a dub record on the Attack label and a few soul 45s that need cleaning. Two of the record shops I visited were selling lots of bootleg live DVDs that were quite tempting, though ultimately too challenging to my conscience. I am left wondering who is getting what cut of the $20 they want for a DVD of a '78 Wire gig in Dusseldorf. I doubt Robert Gotobed is seeing a dime. I won't take too strong of a stand, there's always next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment