10.18.2004

Schoolboys No More
Thanks to Jotz for pulling this out. Let me put this New Jersey Star Ledger article in context. Two young men, one of a comfortable background and one of extreme privilege were buddies in college. But naturally, these friends of mine drifted apart by graduation. Both were partying and skipping class and having a good time I should note, but one (not the millionaire's son) had a harder time getting a diploma than the other. Skip ahead a decade and one has become a Republican congressman and the other an indie-rock hero. The rocker has a song on his new album about how disappointed he is in his friend for becoming a nasty, pro-life, pro-Bush Republican stormtrooper. It's quite incredible really, because for me what makes the lyric odd is that the liberal songwriter didn't notice that his close friend was a spoiled, selfish, smug rich kid way back in the day. I was there and I did. Come on, what did you expect?

No comments: