Adventures of an Obnoxious Amateur Soundman
I stopped by Acme Art Works and saw Spires That In The Sunset Rise, The William Young and some art last night. The William Young are kind of a pirate meets Tom Waits trio with oboe, harmonium. They were fun but kinda jokey. Spires were exceptional, using harmonium, guitar, percussion, cello and doing a kind of psychedelic faux world music that sometimes reminded me of the Velvet Underground's "Lady Godiva's Operation" with howling vocals. I helped set up the PA for Spires when I noticed the speakers had been set up BEHIND the first band, which seemed a recipe for disaster. The show sounded great so I guess it pays to get involved. I believe they are touring with the Incredible String Band later this month. Last week, I saw PJ Harvey and she was incredible, much better than her new almost too sparse album Uh Huh Her. As for the debate, I thought Bush's anger was evidence that he's running scared. Kerry's use of the world "Orwellian" to describe Bush's Clear Skies Initiative made my night. It's really nice outside so I'm going to get out an enjoy it. Off to see the Libertines tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment