12.08.2004

Listmakers
This is a work in progress, I decided to exclude reissues and compilations and just go for the solid rock action. Am I missing anything of quality?

Top Ten Albums of 2004
Franz Ferdinand (Domino/Epic)
Devendra Banhart “Nino Rojo” (Young God)
Animal Collective “Sung Tongs” (FatCat)
Ghost “Hypnotic Underworld” (Drag City)
Blonde Redhead “Misery is a Butterfly” (4AD)
Paul Weller “Studio 150” (V2)
Holly Golightly “Slowly But Surely” (Damaged Goods)
Van Hunt “Van Hunt” (Capitol)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds “Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus” (Anti)
CocoRosie “La Maison de Mon Reve” (Touch & Go)

Close but not quite…
The Futureheads (Sire)
TV On the Radio “Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes” (Touch & Go)

Things I need to listen to again because people won’t shut up about them.
Nellie McKay “Get Away from Me”
Ghostface Killah
Fiery Furnaces both albums
Air “Talkie Walkie" (Astralwerks)
Loretta Lynn
Phoenix “Alphabetical”
Wilco “A Ghost Is Born”

Mild disappointments but still kinda good
The Libertines s/t
Rufus Wainwright “Want One”
PJ Harvey “Uh Huh Her”

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about, can you tell me?
The Killers
The Secret Machines
Peaches
The Cooper Temple Clause
Radio 4

2 comments:

Chaerephon said...

I gotta disagree with Jeffie "The Edge" Jotz; I loved Mission of Burma's 2004 record. A couple of Conley's lyrics are clunkier than on his classics, but as a whole the band is really in fine form. Miller in particular is as outrageously inventive a guitar player as ever.

As usual, I've read about more 2004 music than I've actually heard, making me useless when it comes to best-of lists. I know reissues are out-of-bounds, but I can't resist: Kinks _Face to Face_ and _Village Green_ 3-CD set made my year.

john said...

I liked the newer Mission of Burma stuff a lot as well and have been meaning to pick up the CD. On Franz F, they are ridiculously huge, but they almost deserve it, great live and I definitely say I liked em before they hit M2. On Radio 4, I just saw them and it wasn't very good, but better than their pretty boring new album. I'm a sucker for reissues, mostly soul, reggae and psychedelia and I could make a Top Ten list of those alone. I want those Kinks boxes now!