12.06.2004





Listening Station
I'm now enjoying a new view from the place called day job desk. The office move has turned out to be beneficial in numerous ways. Do you realize that companies just give everything away when they move? They pay these salvage people to come in and haul away tens of thousands of dollars worth of furniture and no one bats an eye. I now have both the Hancock and a small chunk of the Marina City towers in my view rather than the snaking El and the back of the Merchandise Mart that were in my view for several years off and on.

Um, yeah so anyway, somehow a weekend that involved going to Texas roadhouse themed bar turned out to be really fun. Selling off some junk CDs netted me some good solid new stuff, the Soul Jazz "Sound of Philadelphia" comp, another Hugh Masekala LP and an original pressing of The Damned's "Music For Pleasure." The latter is a fine record, much more like the Who than I remembered it, and it's been getting lots of spins around my place. Also in heavy rotation is the most recent disc from Holly Golightly, "Slowly But Surely" (Damaged Goods). The last time I saw Holly play it was a drunken, kinda lame show but she's outdone herself with this album. I'm undecided on Ely Guerra, the really photogenic Mexican singer who went to Evergreen State College. She somehow manages to sound like Sade and PJ Harvey in the same song, kind of a funky world beat Polly Jean. Is that a good thing? Well, in a way, yeah, I think this might be more interesting listening than "Uh Huh Her" even if it is "werld" music. I've also come to realize that I need "Shake Sauvage" (Crippled Dick) on vinyl, it's simply the best compilation record I own, track it down if at all possible and tell me where it can be had.

2 comments:

Chaerephon said...

John, I didn't realize you worked so close to the Loop. I'm in the Prudential Bldg.; we should get lunch sometime (not at a roadhouse though).

I'm watching the news reports of the 135 S LaSalle fire, though, and suddenly I don't feel like being in the Loop...

john said...

Yeah, buildings on fire not good. Lunch would be cool.