12.14.2004


First Slint, now..
Gang of Four reform! They are touring the UK in January and then coming over here.
The original line-up of Jon King (vocals), Andy Gill (guitar and vocals), Dave Allen (bass) and Hugo Burnham (drums) are making the scene. I saw Go4 in 1990 with the La's and the Violent Femmes, but it was not even close to the original dudes. If I remember there was a gorgeous black woman in a metallic mini-skirt playing da bass or maybe it was Sara Lee. I'm going home and spinning me some SOLID GOLD and ENTERTAINMENT!

2 comments:

john said...

I must say I totally disagree! The Buzzcocks live in 1990 were quite amazing, close enough to fool me, though I've dodged them since. And I saw Television 3 years ago and just about wet my pants that it was as good and as weird as you would hope. Tom Verlain carried his effects pedals in an Osco bag and set them up on stage about 10 seconds before they played! On the other hand, I've also seen the Creation and The Pretty Things who were old enough that you kind of worried about them spraining something on stage, though they sounded fabulous. I've become pretty open to reunions. Why should the Stones be allowed to do it forever and not the Pixies?

Chaerephon said...

Hey, I saw that Monkees reunion tour in 1986 and it was hardcore, man, it was...oh, okay, it was pathetic. Not even Mike Nesmith or his righteous touk showed up.

I agree with John: no reservations about aging post-punks, at least not based on having seen Mission of Burma. I can't see them in a bad light at all; even if you assume they're trying to make money off the fame that accrued over their years-long absence, well, what's so wrong with that, especially if they also remain passionately creative?

Or maybe my motives are more selfish: I just always wanted to hear that music live, hitting me in the face with tremendous force, and since I can't go back in time I might as well suspend my disbelief and see them now. I would do the same if it were the Embarrassment or Husker Du. I guess that means I'm similar to the aging Boomers going back to the Whovian well...not sure I really care, though.