4.12.2004
so the nightlife report for this weekend. i actually was out and about quite a bit. I played a gig on Friday night with perfect panther opening for the make-up (I mean Weird War) and Transziztors from Detroit, the latter turned a good performance considering it was their second gig. They've got a bit more of a bubblegum meets garage sound and a few kinks to work out (the "lead" guitar sounded kind of wimpy to me). Saturday night I went out to dinner with some friends after getting my rear window replaced. Somehow Tim and I busted it by loading our gear in awkwardly and then slamming the window. The price of a good night rocking the city? $180 it seems. After dinner, my crew hit Sonotheque which was really pleasant especially as I was poured perhaps the largest glass of red wine I have ever seen, a bartender friend suggested it, can't remember the name but will check it out tonight, fantastic. Just as sonotheque was beginning to fill up, we uprooted and went to the Empty Bottle to catch the M's who have gotten a lot of attention in Chicago lately. Somehow it was inevitible that almost no one went to this show (they had sold out the night before at Schuba's). The band was very good, but in a way I was slightly less impressed than I hoped to be. It does sound like the group has a bit of T Rex and Kinks listening in its indie guitar pop sound, but I just couldn't get over the Lilys thing. The Lilys, if you don't know, made a few of their best records ("Better Can't Make Your Life Better," etc.) by copping a late-'60s Kinks sound (though the production reminds me more of the Monkees, very thin and seperate with lots of tambourine, etc.!!!) Since then, I don't think the Lilys' albums have measured up, but they are looking for a drummer right now to tour Europe this summer but don't seem to want me. I'm just assuming it's because I live too far away from Philly. No offense taken, really. Last night, post-Sopranos and giant brunch and huge dinner, I tried to go to the Modernist Society at Darkroom. I was there and chatted with Miles a bit, but felt like I should already be in bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment