Listening station
A.C. Newman, "The Slow Wonder" (Matador)
Badfinger, "No Dice" (Capitol/Apple)
I'm just slightly concerned about a habit I've gotten into lately. Stealing the Wall Street Journal from the entryway to my office. There's a stack of them, which I presume are left for the investment/financial type guys that were once but probably not down the hall anymore. I take it and read it, no one knows or cares, but I still feel a pang of guilt as I skip gingerly up the stairs to my spacious third floor digs. I've actually found it to be quite an excellent paper especially since my union organizer pal told me it's the only paper he reads. It's not as pro-business on the front page as one might expect. It's not the New York Times bastion of liberalism that I know and love (and read online). But it works and the stories are sometimes unusual. I recently read about an artist who makes fictional animated films using some version of the videogame Doom. It's called Red vs. Blue. Sounded cool anyway. WSJ is also a good read if you care about what's happening in the economy for real. As in I had no idea that women's clothing sales are tanking right now. Simply shocking. I guess it's retailers lack of style or understanding, because in GB they are over the top selling crazy numbers in crazy designer department stores like Selfridges (which I do have to say I could spend a week in and not be bored). But back to my concerns about petty thievery. I seem to know lots of young fellas who think they can take batteries, fruit, etc. from little retailers and it's totally okay, punk even. Jerks, thanks for helping create another excuse for price-gouging, ultimately you are hurting the nice little old lady who does have to buy batteries and fruit. It just sets a bad example. And jeez, you were livin' off your parents until you were 28, why were you shoplifting you suburbanite thrill-seeking little bitch? Alright, I'll go easy. I guess I don't feel guilt or shame at taking the WSJ as much as the subliminal fear of getting caught. I look around and run away after I pick it up. My body language screams guilt from every pose.
it's brownie day at Brett's, I finished my big freelance project for the time being and I'm wanting a Gretsch guitar a la the Pro Jet, which goes for $389. Once I see one on eBay and unload some of my other crap I don't use, I'm going to treat myself.
Also, I'm gearing up for a visit from my folks and then a trip to Antigua, all in the merry month of May.
4.23.2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment