I finally gave in to the demons of online shopping and made use of that Barnes and Noble giftcard that popped up in my wallet over the weekend. I ordered some smokin' reissues I've had my eye on (okay, in my Wish List) for a while. I got the Aerovons CD, the Action "Rolled Gold" and the Candi Staton CD (although I was hoping to get it on vinyl, but I can't wait the two weeks before it comes out). Now it's just a matter of postal service efficiency. I heard about the Aerovons on Voxtalks, this total snobby amplifier and '60s music nerd website. The actual guitarist from the band, who now scores commercials and the like, was posting about his band amid all the Beatles trivia and Vox amplifier ephemera. They recorded for three months at Abbey Road Studio 1 while the Beatles were in Studio 2.
Last night I went to this fun little gig in River North of all places, the redwalls and the new constitution at Wall to Wall recording studio which was formerly a Columbia College recording facility. It was a good party, but the sound mix for the bands wasn't exactly club quality as the vocals got drowned in a maelstrom of guitar blast. I missed the redwalls who inexplicably played first (for their parents' sake) and the whole thing wrapped up before 9pm. I even had time to go play guitar at my rehearsal space with a couple beers providing the courage to practice vocals while wailing away (on the guitar that is). All in all a weird but refreshingly different night. I hardly saw anyone that I see all the time except Cynthia Plastercaster whom I finally had a chance to shoot the breeze with. So nice. At the end of the night, I still had a hard time getting to sleep because of the trippy time change thing and the fact that swimming laps as I did Sunday morning invariably turns me into some kind of supermotivated superhuman for about 24 hours until I crash back into lazy mode. "Sopranos" got taped so I've got that waiting for me tonight. Lovely.
Also, the sonotheque website is finally up thought there's no mention of my gig there. I'll make inquiries.
I've got tons of work to do right now and it feels good. I must be old then, eh?
I finally sent Simon, my buddy in Surrey, UK, a CD of OS X stuff and another one of Perfect Panther demos. He's incredibly modest considering his band just recorded with Alan Moulder and shot the video for their first single. At the moment, the name of his group completely escapes me.
4.05.2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment