4.10.2005

Drying Out
after two nights of boozing, one with a bunch of culture critics (both the bitter and ebullient type) and neighborhood party people and another at a wig party at an immaculate Pottery Barn catalog-worthy Boystown apartment. A bunch of music writers behind the DJ booth makes for a fairly lousy night of dancing but a pretty great stage for conversation, catching up on things and watching people hit on each other. Friday night, I really felt like I was at home in Chicago, way more familiar faces than strangers. In other news, it sounds like the women in hip-hop conference was a real winner. A good thing for sure, but also kind of like a "jews in nazism" conference or something... well not quite, but you dig.

1 comment:

john said...

The early days of rap look so innocent by comparison and Public Enemy so missed. The conference was at the University of Chicago and certainly not the only one of its kind. I think Oberlin hosted one too. You can read more about it here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/women/chi-0504060099apr06,1,4386195.story?coll=chi-leisurewomannews-hed