8.05.2004

I'm back from New York, with lots to report, but in the meantime, there's a few things I've read this morning that are worth checking out. Jack Shafer of Slate comes down pretty hard on the media monopoly book and in many ways I agree with much of what he says (especially the part about most story ideas originating with the big four newspapers, none of which are owned by the big five media companies). Having found the Harper's article on Clear Channel from last year to be extremely half-assed and full of unsubstantiated assumptions, I was hoping he would get into that, but he doesn't.

I saw some amazing breakdancing on the train in New York, these teenagers were doing flips, one-handed stands, even spinning a bit with very limited clearance. They were really professional and charming and I was smiling by the end of it.

Passing through the WTC site twice as I caught the PATH train to and from Newark was really intense. I had no idea that the subway station looked out on the crater from the 9-11 tragedy until I got there and was therefore uprepared for the incredible wave of emotion that hit me when I walked through. Everyone stops, looks, takes photos. It's this incredibly quiet, still but massive space.

No comments: