9.28.2004


I made it down to see Ghost at the Empty Bottle. It was well worth sticking it out through Xiu Xiu who were just painful. The club was crowded, stinky and beers didn't really make me any more comfortable. The sound mix for Ghost was pretty horrible, the soundman had tons of reverb on Batoh's vocals which were also mixed too low. The band responded by rocking a bit harder, they were miles away from a sleepy ethereal space jam, much more like Can meets King Crimson. The set consisted mostly of material from "Hypnotic Underworld" with a few tunes from earlier albums thrown in. Batoh wore a purple velveteen suit with freaky drawings on it.

I also paid a visit to South Bend for a trouncing of the Huskies on the gridiron by the Fighting Irish, the weather was incredible and it was great to see my parents so active and upbeat. My brave fiance came along. I've always been a bit schizo about football and the sport doesn't even rate in my top ten. American football fandom resembles a kind of a cultural fascism that obliterates everything in its path. I did, however, do my fair share of fist-pumping and high-fiving on Saturday. I enjoy a lively passing game and most definitely got it.

The big bed swap took place over the last week. I came out a winner with a Queen size boat of Italian origin as did Human Torch who took my Full and almost new sheets over to his boho rocker pad above the Empty Bottle.

Direction last night sounded really amazing with Kevin from Hi-Fi Records and the Mannequin Men as guest DJ, but the turn-out was extremely light. Personal set highlights included The Bar-Kays, Billy Nichols, Miaow, Humble Pie, Ebony Rhythm Band a lot of what Kevin was spinning... By the way, the Wire has a great piece on psychedelic soul in this month's issue.


And yes, comments work again, my links are back up and I'm digging this new template. Note the pretty pictures too. MP3s coming soon.

It's my birthday and I have to go get a new muffler.

No comments: