5.23.2006

Judgment day for Godsmack?
This is almost a month old but it's been a hot topic this week.
The guy from Godsmack definitely deserved to get some serious flack for this and props to (we don't do fact-checking, we just love pentagrams) Arthur magazine's Jay Babcock for going for the throat. But sometimes when music writers do politics, they forget to do so journalistically. Babcock doesn't stop to consider that the administration and the military are really two different, conflicting entities these days. He is subscribing to a Vietnam-era idea of a monolithic government/military complex. Anyone who has followed the lead-up to the Iraq invasion should know that the administration ignored the advice and dissent of top military advisors and also that many retired military officers have publicly opposed the war from the outset. I think Babcock could have done what he wanted to do without introducing unsubtle radical politics into the discussion. At the same time, I like the idea of some radical left O'Reillys out there shifting the angle of the debate. I just like it better when they are a bit more logic-bound and informed.

Also, anyone seen this doc Baghdad ER? is very well done, horrifying but not sensationalistic at all.

1 comment:

john said...

Actually on second read, I was reading things into Jay Babcock's interview that are just not there. My apologies Jay. Still, I think it's fair to point out that the military and the Bush administration are not one in the same.