11.19.2004


Shameless Self-Promotion Part 36
So a colleague tried to order my CD EP from Insound and he discovered that they were out of stock. I emailed with good sir Patrick of Insoundfordshire and he managed to re-stock the CDs from one of your reliable indie distros within a few days. Patrick, you're my online MVP of the week. In other words, my very limited edition, released in 2000 on a Swedish label called Her Magic Field that is now defunct, three song CD EP is still available! I play electric piano, I make my lead vocal debut, I forgot to put bass on one song and the engineer erased my guitar solo on another and never apologized, always a good sign. While I'm on the subject, read a review, and another review (middle of the page) and yet another and then buy, buy and buy again.

And then consider this odd coincidence.

4 comments:

Chaerephon said...

I already got the EP when it was first out (also from Insound), which makes me hipper than God, hipper than myself, and even hipper than you, John, yes, it's true, sorry. Look it up. (It's great. The EP I mean.)

john said...

Damn, I thought I was the hip one. Got me again. What do you think of Jotz and I putting Trendinista and Dope Slaves cassettes out on CD?

Chaerephon said...

Sorry so late to reply to yr response...didn't catch it till now.

I'm hardly objective on either TDS or T5K, as I was (am) a big fan of both. To me, T5K epitomized all that was good about the post-Beat-Happening style. You had the by-then-familiar basement production, wide-eyed lyrics, and Seam-style linear melodies, but you also didn't shy away from a more pro-sounding guitar tone than many like-minded bands (could I use some more hyphens in this post do you think?)(how about some more run-on sentences?)(OK then). It made the songs that much more fun to listen to, as did the sense of humor and lack of overseriousness that sometimes plagued even the bonky love-rock set (not that they were U2 or anything of course).

I could go on and on but I don't want to be fanboy. I use "trendinista" as my ID in various fora (OK, just my fantasy sports teams, nothing high-minded) as a tribute.

john said...

Pro-sounding guitar tone? I think it had a lot to do with recording that T5K stuff in a moist cellar St. Peter's Street that was about as big as a drum booth. Natural echo. I swear I have some photos from that "session" somewhere, I'll dig them out for the deluxe 2xCD edition that Matador should be issuing.